aTypical Joe: a gay New Yorker living in the rural South
Monday, June 23, 2008
Links for 2008-06-23
TODAY ON TMV
- No evidence of “pregnancy pact” in Gloucester, it was bad journalism. (Or possibly a principal excited to be talking to Time magazine!)
YESTERDAY ON TMV
- Stop threatening to put kids in jail for sex! A writer in the Savannah Morning News wants the girls in the non-existent pact (see above) thrown in the slammer.
- On Corporate Complicity in the Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II, more from Douglas A. Blackmon’s “Slavery By Another Name”
SATURDAY ON TMV
- Barack Obama and the Muslim misinformation, some ask why Obama doesn’t attack the central issue in the Internet misinformation game. That is: what’s wrong with being Muslim?
- Solitary not solitary any longer. Now it’s “single-occupancy” just like torture’s not torture!
- On Google and our brains. Smart questions. And Carr’s disappointing answers. The Atlantic article was a missed opportunity. Carr always asks good questions; seldom comes up with good answers.
- Google Maps meets ‘Grand Theft Auto’ Drive a car around Google Maps.
- Is Kindle the iPod of eBooks? No, no matter that Bezos almost convinces The Philadelphia Inquirer it is. But it helps real book sales, eBooks never sell out (and you can get free previews), and you can change your font size among other features.