aTypical Joe: a gay New Yorker living in the rural South
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Links for 2008-06-03
HOME SWEET HOME
We got back Friday, but there was storm damage. Nothing major. A tree down in the driveway, debris in the yard, outdoor lights and furniture damaged. The nephew’s car. We’re lucky. Spent the weekend cleaning up. The beginning of the week settling back in at work. The hit sultry southern summer’s almost begun… and I’ve got lots of links catching up to do!
ON TMV TUES 5/27
- Google says Viacom’s lawsuit against YouTube ‘threatens’ the Net, including a useful clarification of the difference between content and communication.
- Same-sex marriage momentum, 51% of Californians think gay marriage should be legal
- Republicans, The Colbert Bump & Same-Sex Marriage, Tony Perkins on The Colbert Report
- Linguist Geoff Nunberg on the meaning of “marriage”, I get peeved when they put quotation marks around the word “marriage.”
- Kiss your cable box goodbye, they’re building it into TVs. Now what about the Internet!!!
FRIDAY (on the road) SATURDAY
- Topsy-turvy: Republicans for Obama… Today’s Hillary protesters?, ah, the Democrats.
- Vanity Fair on Bill Clinton’s “sometimes questionable associations”, skip the post, go directly to the article.
- Religion & Science, God & Politics: not such strange bedfellows after all, the “not precisely related” link is an important one.
- Apple moving from .Mac to Me? Adobe too?, I worried that this one was too techie for TMV. I only hope the Apple rumor is true!
- On Bill Clinton’s critique of the Vanity Fair piece about him, Jack Shafer’s, not mine.
- Race, reason, and the Democrats in the 2008 primary season, more of me saying that we’re not as racist as we’re afraid we are… and that Obama can win Georgia.
- Nunn: it might be time to take another look at ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’, and why he won’t be Obama’s VP pick.